Friday, June 19, 2015

How it All Began ... or, More to the Point, Ended

            I don't recall exactly when it was I gave up the notion of a god.  It was not one of those epic moments about which one later says "I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when" thus and so took place.  Though it was an event that shook me, it would hardly have disturbed the dust on a seismograph. 
            I can, however, say for certain that it happened late in my four years of high school.  A Catholic high school, ironically, Cardinal Spellman high school in the Bronx.  And, in retrospect, the incident feels embarrassingly naive. 
            Along side of literature, algebra, Latin, and gym classes, religion classes were required in Catholic high schools (there's a surprise).  And, while most of the academic courses were taught by brothers (the male equivalent of nuns) and lay (civilian) teachers, the religion classes called for the big guns – priests.  The perpetuation of faith could be entrusted to no one less. 
            In one of these classes, Biblical miracles came up, specifically with respect to the story of Moses and the escape of the Jews from Egypt.  Fun!  It was always impressive and comforting to hear how God intervened on behalf of his chosen people with timely and awesome miracles. 
            But there it began.  Someone (perhaps I) marveled aloud about the mighty hand of God parting the deep, turbulent waters of the Red Sea to allow Moses and his horde to cross and escape the pursuing Egyptian chariots (Charlton Heston as Moses in The Ten Commandments rendered a stirring reenactment of that awe-inspiring moment).  Father (let's call him ... O'Hara) smiled tightly, and said:  "Wellllllllll ... not exactly."  Huh?  "You see there are times," he continued in a voice that rose an octave or two, "when the water level of the Red Sea is so low, so low you could just amble across it."  You mean walk across it?  Low tide?  Then where was the miracle?  "Wellllllllll ... the miracle is it happened just when Moses needed it," he replied. 
            Okay.  Then, of course, there was the miracle of the manna from heaven.  The edible substance that, according to the Bible (and the Quran), came snowing down from God's pantry to feed the Israelites during their travels in the desert.  God again looking out for his own.  "Wellllllllll ... not exactly," Father O'Hara intoned.  "You see this manna is vegetation in the area that blew in from nearby trees."  What, like pollen?  "But the miracle was that it happened," he hastened to add, " just when Moses and his folks were hungry." 
            And the Nile water turning to blood?  Don't tell me ...  "Wellllllllll ... there's these organisms in the water, you see, that turned the Nile water red," the discombobulated cleric conceded with a shrug, "and the bugs killed the frog-eating fish, which in turn caused a population explosion among frogs and ..."  Okay, got it.  There were no real miracles, just good timing. 
            I left that class with a heavy and unshakable feeling of betrayal.  If Father O'Hara and presumably the brothers and the lay teachers and the nuns and everybody else, except for me maybe, knew that there are natural explanations for the Biblical miracles, then why teach us these events enrobed in myth and hyperbole to begin with?  Why not teach the episodes as naturally explainable but miraculous in their timing?  That would have been enough for me.  But not anymore.  All bets were off.  Everything was now open to skepticism and challenge.  No more taking things "on faith."  For me, faith had become the self-deluding practice of believing in something against the evidence of your eyes and brain and common sense.  I found I could no longer drink the Kool-Aid. 
            Whether or not I was naive to be as scandalized as I was about the non-miracle miracles, the fact is that the shock opened my eyes and knocked some sense into me.  From that moment on, religion became irrelevant and, though I'm not crazy about the label (a discussion for another time), I have been a confirmed atheist.  What you see is what you get. 

No comments:

Post a Comment